WELCOME TO 4 AND 20 SPARROWS! IT IS A BIT OF BLOGGING GOODNESS JUST FOR YOU...FILLED WITH THE RIDICULOUSNESS OF LIFE, MY RANDOM MUSINGS AND THE KNOWLEDGE THAT GOD IS ALWAYS GOOD! COME IN AND ENJOY!

Monday, June 6, 2011

Places Calling...

On a day like today, the world is in suspended animation. The seasons won’t separate into recognizable pieces. There are Farris wheels that stay suspended in time too. With some illnesses a person forgets what it was like to feel good. Maybe I could remember if the heat of the flu-ish burning would give me a moment. This headache is like a spatula scraping it all out from the inside, dull but thorough. The fresh winter-cold June air feels like a caress.
On such a day the rain and the sun take turns playing through the atmosphere. Today is too wet to be dry and too dry to be wet. Let’s meet in the garden. The foliage is thick and lush and it has begun to believe it is an arctic/tropical hybrid. It is undoubtedly schizophrenic now, and is just trying to do the best that it can. Great waves of lush growth combine with piteous, shivering tomato plants that clearly wonder why.
Within this piece of life I am at loose ends. I believe I am coming down with a virulent case of ADHD. I roam inside and out. For no apparent reason; one of the potting shelves gets a cleaning but not the rest. All of the cardboard flotsam from soft drink companies and clothes soap magnates gets thrown into the big outside garbage, but I may as well name the daddy-long-legs. Selective tidiness
I look up the symptoms of a certain disease, for no reason other than I read the word at the doctor’s office, and now it is stuck in my head. I sure hope I do not get it, it is not nice. I will know if I do though, as I will lose control of either my bladder or bowels, or possibly both. Some diseases are helpful that way. They are so clear cut.
Residing in this speck of time feels like walking in high heels through clay. Stiletto holes in the world and in my brain. The remedy would be to just slip off the shoes…would it feel happy like a child playing in the mud or completely uncomfortable like when girly-girls don’t want to get dirty?
Here is my bubble, my piece of time and space. It feels wasted and yet I can do no more. My brain seems to have rejected all the familiar things I do in the empty spaces. It chooses not to read or paint or play. A book at this moment would be fruitless. All the watercolors in the world swirling and blending would be just a kaleidoscope.  Possibly pushing through this moment will lead to another world. In that world I will be able to step up and do responsible, productive things. But pushing through this moment is like pushing through a tough membrane. My body is so tired and my mind agrees.
This is a meandering, disjointed day among the wet roses and the sidewalk cracks and struggling earthworms. Things I have never known call to me, which is weird. How can that happen if I have never known them? Maybe they know me….. Old kitchens with chipped enamel counters and wooden rolling pins, cobbled streets with graceful twisting trees and thick stone bridges that give passage over wide, gently flowing currents; postcards with elegant sepia words and valises and steamer ships and fat spring birds with powder blue heads, that come to you and sit in your palm.
Possibly the fatigue in my mind and my spirit will actually let me pass through to the places that call to me most strongly. What if this disjointed place of loose-ends is really a kind of portal? What if I could step through and the Farris wheel would begin to turn? All the places that are stuck would move freely and all of the suspended fragments would filter down into clarity, a zero-attention-span, flu-fog portal if you will.
On a day like today, choosing to believe that what the enemy means for evil, God means for good, I could sit at the top of the Ferris wheel, still and quiet and waiting. And all of the places that I do not know, but which call to me like old familiar friends, would move within the moment and reveal a place of discovery and grace. Tonya Willman
©
2011

14 comments:

  1. I am at a loss for words. This post is indescribable. It feels like an 'elegant' description of so much pain. Maybe I am way off base...I do not know. But it is moving. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giving this one more try. You are awesome. Doing it under Anonymous but you know it's Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mo!!!! I will try that to...It's me...T...and I love your comments, thanks you guys! Wow, cool if this will work for me as well! Dear Blogspot...You are broken and strange....T-T-T-T

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping this will post..I always have so much trouble with these things

    This is so moving Tonya..I feel your pain and where it takes you because I too go to those same places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi KT, so glad you are following the blog. I still have to post as anonymous! >.<
    Why some people do and some don't is a blogspot mystery, Thank you for your wonderful comment. I DO know you understand!!! Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote a post and it got wiped out - that was this a.m. We have all been where you are and we understand. Some of us - many of us there now. I love you words that express so many things we are going through and we are all reaching to each other via FB. We walk beside you and Jesus carries you when you are too tired to walk. That is his promise and we survive and life gets better, but the waves of change keep coming to the shore. If one of us is not challenged then another of us is -so we continue to support and lift up our sisters in Christ. Love, Moi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deares Moi....I am guessing...hmmm,thank you for the kind and lovely words. Such support!I am not anon---I am T-T-T-T-T!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shhh...I think blogspot/google let me through. I know that this reply is redundant. I do not care....I am actually posting a reply under my own name!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, it is my turn to check out the comment area. It is my firm belief computers are like people, unpredictable, amusing and yet thought provoking. Being that said I will now hit the post comment button...beam me up Scotty ... Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Tonya,
    Your world of physical pain is unfamiliar to me, but I can relate on an emotional level. My heart breaks for you, knowing your health challenges are so ongoing. But, this I know: Jesus loves you and is with you in each and every Farris wheel moment!

    I am in awe of the creative gift God has given to you! In the midst of your pain and fatigue, you are doing what you are able to do so well! You have painted an amazing word picture and blessed us, who read your inspired words. I loved your high heels in clay and your blue headed bird sitting in the palm of your hand! "Listening" to your words made me think of Alice In Wonderland. I hope that wasn't an insensitive thing to say.

    What I loved the most about this post was how you ended it on such a positive note and pointed us to the Lord. Thank you for sharing your world with us; disjointed as it feels to you. Your words help the suffering to feel like they aren't alone. In this painful season of life, I pray you can find joy in the quiet, stillness as you wait hand in hand with the Lord. You make Him and us smile! You and your words are beautiful! Just lifted you in prayer my friend.
    Much love and giant hugs,
    Renee'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deear Renee, You have been on my mind so much. Thank you for such a lovely comment. I am awed. What an amazing thing to even THINK of making God smile! Thank you dear gracious sister in Christ, Love and blessings, Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  12. Moi was me T. P3F....Did you know that :>)(

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is just "NO PLACE LIKE HOME!" Give and take a litle bit of this and that....but for sure no place like home,family and friends...

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Sue Cat, of course 'Moi' was you! Your style is beautifully unique girl!
    @ Jayne, Thank you for your words. THere really is 'No place like home' even if we don't always realize exactly what we have. I am blessed!!! T.

    ReplyDelete