WELCOME TO 4 AND 20 SPARROWS! IT IS A BIT OF BLOGGING GOODNESS JUST FOR YOU...FILLED WITH THE RIDICULOUSNESS OF LIFE, MY RANDOM MUSINGS AND THE KNOWLEDGE THAT GOD IS ALWAYS GOOD! COME IN AND ENJOY!

Friday, February 4, 2011

HIGH-TECH-HUMILITY

     Just as prunes are nature’s way of saying, “Have a seat…” and major plumbing failures are the Universe’s way of saying, “What? You really thought that six hundred dollars belonged to you?”; gadgets, gizmos, and all the latest technology is the World’s way of saying, “Don’t even think about it, Old Lady….”
     Oh sure, you watch 13-year-olds texting in a lightning-fast manner and using cutting-edge phones with the skills and precision of a brain surgeon, and it lures you into thinking; ‘why not me?’ Pardon me while I bark out a bitter and derisive cackle. Why? I’ll tell you why--if you are; a.) Forgetful,  b.) Old enough to remember the first man on the moon,  and-or, c.)Interested in the role that green-leafy vegetables play in your diet in terms of either anti-aging OR fiber, then chances are you will find yourself as skilled at these high-tech phones (which will even do your taxes…..seriously) as your dog is at thumb-wars….
    I speak from humiliating personal experience. I actually own a little pay-as-you-need-it cell phone. It makes phone calls and even texts (though I do not). It has voice mail and a calendar (which I don’t use, and why should I? I have a perfectly good one hanging up in my kitchen) Really, I just call people and they answer. I speak into it and then close the little flip-front when we are through speaking. Hand-to-God; I thought I was cool.
     Come on! I own a laptop! I have the current “Bill-Party-Animal-Gates-Micro-Stuff”…..I have even sat smugly as others have said, “How do you know how to do all this?” And of course by others I mean my mother. And, get ready….I have mastered my own MP3 player! I have helped barely comprehensible Pakistani tech-support teams fix funky little ‘glitches’ in my computer as well as complete crashes. (And yes I know they were Pakistani because I flat out asked them, I am NOT profiling!) I have even upgraded and installed more memory into an ancient computer we had prior to the newest one.
    Still, I found out that I knew absolutely nothing! I strode in to the phone store with badly misplaced confidence. Again, I have seen fast-food employees that could not count out my change without getting a read-out from the register, using their awesomely shiny phones to text AND check their emails with one hand and pick their nose with the other. I mean how hard could it be? As it turned out; Hard.
      Touching all the pretty screens, and looking at all the different “Apps” that were possible, left me breathless. I have many Face Book friends who are always sending pictures and texts from their phones. They gaily update me about their latest adventures; funny pictures from stores and stirring drives with gorgeous sunsets; making my life all the richer. I now hate them. I laughingly told the nice phone store girl that I was ‘pretty new to it all’, so I would need a user-friendly, touch-screen, kind of phone….thingy…..
     I will not tell you what I chose, however; it was NOT a Droid or BlackBerry. BUT, no matter. It was waaaaay too much phone for me! It could do everything! I think I could have tapped into the CIA’s system if I could have just understood it all! I probably could have actually dialed Obama directly if I had taken the time to hang out around the Taco-Bell. But, alas…I did not. I am a quitter, an OLD quitter.     
     My daughter kept showing me the same things over and over. She was patient. She would have remained patient. She never rolled her eyes once. I would say, “Wait, wait….touch what? Now do what with this? Okay, so where was that (bad word) place I was supposed to go again?” She would show me another time, with a bright; “See Mom, easy.” Or “See! You’re getting it…..” Increasingly, I became more agitated than a cranky, hyper child, hopped-up on Hershey Bars and bereft of behavioral meds.
     The final straw and the thing that sealed my buyer’s remorse was…… (Ominous music) The Cost. I was actually paying more, and as it turned out after many a fee; a lot more, on my phone plan to feel like Grog-itha the cave-woman trying to understand the basics of say fire, or the wheel…I returned the phone, (and tragically for my daughter, the companion phone as well.) and undid the extremely complicated (for me) calling-text-nights & weekends-picture-messaging-WITH-internet-roll-over-and-bite-me minutes…each feature just a wee bit more of a fee, plus tax on the monthly service plan.
      Oh Lord!   When I walked out of that phone store with my refund receipt for the phones (which were really free, AFTER the rebate, so why not just give me the freaking phones already???) I felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off of me. I gently fondled my little silver pay-as-you-go phone and whimpered, “Hello, old friend.” It was a very good moment and really, how can you put a price on that? Tonya Willman
©2011

9 comments:

  1. My dear friend, you have done it again; made my day, that is! From your very first sentence; your prunes, to your hyper child and roll-over-and-bite-me minutes, onto your emotional reaquaintance moment with your "old friend"; I loved every sentence! Your writing is always so much fun!

    HOWEVER, you really underestimate your techy skills. Why, my goodness, look at this amazing blog you have created with widgets, gadgets and gizmoes! Seriously! And you taught me to lurk; INVALUABLE! I also like the simpler things, there's no law against that, is there? God knows our lives are complicated enough that we don't have to be good at all that techno stuff! SO...I like to place credit where it is due and so I did! Thank you dear! Glad you're feeling lighter now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Renee. As always you encourage me so much! I am content with being stuck in both worlds...I will accept my tech-limits and rejoice in paper calenders and regular(digital) cameras...=) T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I know. As a computer geek with a laptop and an iPad, I would just assume not have my phone. I use it so infrequently, which is good thing as it usually needs charging. My son tried to show me how to text, but it took me so long, I could have walked the message to the intended target sooner. He was not as patient as Jamie. If he only knew how patient I had to be teaching him all the things in his early life he didn't know. Oh well, as you say, it's best to accept our limitations and live stress-free.

    BTW: I love seeing my "The Pool" below. It is my favorite piece of artwork. You, my friend, are amazingly talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Susan/Z... Thanks for the great feedback. It really is a matter of embracing what we like of the new stuff and letting the rest go. Yes, I have always felt that texting is a giant leap backwards, and as I slid out my little key pad and squinted impotently over it, I wanted to weep openly. I LOVE my nice big keyboard...it is as God intended, you know...LOL. P.S. I love having your piece of art on here. It was one of my favorites to do, and I am so happy to know that you still love it!!! T~~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading this Tonya, your blog just gets better and better. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pfft. My husband carries his do everything phone and answers it when it rings (if he does not cut them off trying to get it out of his pants). He uses it for hello and goodbye. He does not text because he will not learn how. I think (and this is a stretch) he can retrieve and read his text). But he cannot answer it so he calls them back. He scrolls all the way down his contacts until he reaches the person he wishes to call instead of putting in a couple of letters and up pops their name. He did have me set up his frequently contacts on numbers. I am still finding new stuff on my phone and soon take the plunge into an upgrade. It is all in the willingness to learn something alien to us, but I will never be out texted by a grade school child. I can text with the speed of light and my head is either in a computer or a cell phone. Try again - no frustration allowed. I even had a cell phone commit suicide on the counter - it vibrated itself into the bowl of dog water on the floor. I had it covered....defeat....never.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember when we could just answer the phone, flip on the TV, get in a car and just drive it, if something did not work it was either unplugged or broken, not so anymore, if my TV doesn't work, it just gets shut off until someone comes around to figure out what is wrong with it. I am so surprised that I am able to figure out this droid I just had to have, my kids are even more surprised, even though they get some pretty strange texts from me at times.
    You are fabulous at SOOOOO many things, just stick with them and forget that phone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love you all!!! OMGosh...O_O conflicting advice from beautiful minds....what to do??? I did enjoy that P3F's phone committed suicide all by itself...awesome! I am in awe of my Droidy I-Phonish friends....BUT it refuse the Jitterbug! Oh the humiliation! So I will stick with my humble little TracFone for now....When they come out with something "Tonya" friendly and doesn't require choosing between other bills or the cost...I will be all over it....Dream on.....(I loved that song...I bet Steven Tyler has a Droid....just sayin)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do admit to having my own personal Computer Genius who works for the Geek Squad at Best Buy. However, I am a pretty Geeky person my self. I taught myself string commmands learned out to program my first computer in 1987 and actually taught kids how do to the same. I can run my blue ray and I know what http means. I have all manor of gismony things that I can take a bit of time and figure out. I am not a fancy person...but I do like very simple phones. I use Boost Mobil and very rarely do I actually use more than 10 dollars in 3 months. I put my lovely little unfancy phone through the washer...I took it all apart and sunk it into a large container of rice (which is the thing you should do) and hubs just bought me a new phone..its texty and camera smart, and has a lovely querty keyboard on it. Its my very favorite color blue. It has a very large screen to make it easy to read...but...I can't make a damn phone call. ~the macedonian

    ReplyDelete