WELCOME TO 4 AND 20 SPARROWS! IT IS A BIT OF BLOGGING GOODNESS JUST FOR YOU...FILLED WITH THE RIDICULOUSNESS OF LIFE, MY RANDOM MUSINGS AND THE KNOWLEDGE THAT GOD IS ALWAYS GOOD! COME IN AND ENJOY!

Monday, September 20, 2010

The Comforter


Jesus without thee we are orphaned and lonely
Come as our teacher and guide.
Leave us not comfortless, send us the comforter.
Come to our hearts to abide.
                               ~~~A.B. Simpson

“It is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away the Counselor will not come to you. But if I go I will send Him to you.” John 16:7  (Jesus Christ, speaking of the Holy Spirit.)

He will direct our way: “And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, this is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.” Isaiah 30:21 KJV

    The old hymn that says, “What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear.” is the epitome of who the Holy Spirit is. For He is none other than the actual Spirit of Jesus Christ living inside of me. ME!!! And You!!! How amazing is that. He is my friend. He is my comforter. He is the only one that can sustain true joy in my heart. If my joy or happiness is circumstantial, then the least little thing can unsettle me. I know this all to well.  Going along, happy as can be, somebody else is grumpy, somebody says a thoughtless or unkind thing and there goes my joy! Because that kind of joy is external. It does not come from the deep places in my spirit in which the Holy Spirit dwells. His joy is not based on externals. His joy has nothing to do with a good ‘hair’ day or if the mail-man brings good or bad news.
   His joy is above all of that. And, if I stay close to Him, very close. And if I rest in Him, truly rest.  (see Hebrews 4) That joy will be constantly available to me. That kind of joy says “It matters not the circumstances, or the attitudes of those around me. What matters is that my Lord loves and sustains me.” It is supernatural. It comes from the very Throne of Grace.
   Where are my eyes fixed? If they are constantly roaming from circumstance, to person, to mood, to event, to self, if they are not firmly fixed on the One who is the author and finisher of my salvation, peace and faith, then I am doomed to be blown about by every wind of emotion and drama that comes my way.
    The word speaks of Jesus as our foundation. His Spirit anchors me, and in the best possible way. Do I want to fly and soar? Absolutely, but only on His wings. The worst possible state of mind is when I am constantly tossed about by circumstance and the whims and moods of others, like a helpless leaf pushed along by a fractious wind.
   No. Better to be that ship that sails gracefully and steadily, even through treacherous waters because her Captain cannot fail. And when she needs to moor, and be still, her Anchor never slips, it never fails, and it never will, because her anchor is Christ. That is the friendship of the Holy Spirit. He is the Spirit of my friend and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Tonya Willman ©2010
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment